In Phuket, breast implants are available at savings of around 60% compared to the average prices currently being charged in Australia and New Zealand. However, choosing to undergo a breast enlargement procedure is a life-changing decision and should not be taken lightly. Aside from the expense, patients need to be aware that the results are not guaranteed, and there are other risks that should be taken into consideration.
Medical Departures are ideally positioned to assist in all aspects of the decision-making process. From identifying a reputable clinic and surgeon, to making travel and accommodation arrangements, Medical Departures have amassed a wealth of experience in the field of medical tourism, making them the perfect partner to help with the planning and execution of a successful trip to Phuket for breast implant surgery .
The Breast Implant Procedure
The breast implant procedure, also referred to as augmentation mammoplasty, breast enlargement or breast augmentation, is usually undertaken to increase the size and fullness of the breasts or is implemented as part of the reconstructive process after surgeries such as a mastectomy. Breast implants can also be used to change the shape of the breasts or to make the breasts more even. Whatever the reason for having the treatment, patients generally choose to undergo the surgery to improve their body image and boost self-confidence. It is worth noting, however, that a breast lift procedure may also be required to successfully rectify severely sagging breasts.
Breast implant surgery is performed under a general anaesthetic and involves making a series of incisions, in inconspicuous areas that produce minimal scarring, to allow the implants to be inserted. The exact location of the incisions will be decided by the surgeon during a pre-operative consultation, but will be in one of three areas:
1. Periareolar incision – made at the edge of the dark area surrounding the nipple (the areola)
2. Inframammary incision – made in the crease underneath the breast where the chest wall and breast meet
3. Transaxillary incision – made in the armpit
Once the incisions have been made, the implants will be placed in one of two locations, either:
1. Between the breast and the pectoral muscle (referred to as subglandular or submammary). This is the most natural location, causing less post-operative discomfort whilst avoiding any chest muscle damage, or
2. Underneath the pectoral muscle (known as submuscular). This technique provides extra tissue coverage and carries less risk of rippling and capsular contracture.
Once the implants are in place, the incisions will be sealed with sutures and a dressing applied. Drainage tubes and gauze may also be put in place to assist with the healing process, but these will usually be removed within a few days.
The whole procedure is usually complete in 1 to 2 hours, and an overnight stop in hospital is generally not required. Pain relief can be taken to alleviate any post-operative discomfort, but patients should find that recovery times are reasonably swift compared to some other cosmetic procedures, with most patients able to return to work within 1 week of the surgery and undertake normal activities within 2 weeks.
Types of Implant
There are two different types of implants that are used during a breast implant procedure: silicone gel and saline solution. The surgeon will discuss the merits of both options prior to surgery and decide, on an individual basis, which type is the most suitable:
· Silicone gel implants – these implants contain either soft or firm silicone gel and are less likely to wrinkle than saline implants. The soft type allegedly provide a more natural feel, whilst the hard ones are claimed to reduce the risk of capsular contracture and implant rotation. On the downside, if a gel implant ruptures, silicone could potentially spread into your breast, causing a condition known as siliconomas.
· Saline solution implants – these implants carry less risk as, in the event of a rupture, the saline solution is safely absorbed by the body. However, there is a greater risk of these implants rupturing or deflating quicker than gel implants, and they can be more susceptible to wrinkling or folding.
Top Clinics for Breast Implants in Phuket
The Medical Departures website is the ideal tool for finding reputable hospitals and cosmetic surgeons abroad. They have compiled a listing of quality-checked clinics and doctors in Phuket , which can be accessed free-of-charge, to assist in identifying the perfect medical facility at a price that’s right. Visit the website to find out more about world-class establishments such as:
1. Phuket Plastic Surgery Institute
The Phuket Plastic Surgery Institute is an internationally-renowned cosmetic surgery centre, boasting a team board-registered, English-speaking doctors that are highly experienced in performing breast implant procedures. The clinic employs proactive policies to ensure that they are always at the forefront the industry, utilizing the latest medical techniques and investing in the most up-to-date, state-of-the-art technologies.
2. Jungceylon Plastic Surgery Clinic
The Jungceylon Plastic Surgery Clinic offer high quality, personalized breast implant procedures, ensuring that each patient enjoys a safe, comfortable and pleasant experience during their stay. The facility is furnished with the latest cutting-edge medical equipment and adheres to strict international sterilization guidelines to deliver a safe and hygienic service.