Getting a tummy tuck abroad may be one of the few times when you return home with a flatter stomach than when you went.
A tummy tuck, otherwise known as abdominoplasty, removes excess skin and fat to give you a flatter, firmer stomach. For some of us, no matter how hard we exercise and diet, we just can’t shift our spare tyre, but this may not necessarily be through our own fault. Even people who are slim and in proportion may have a tummy that is sagging, loose and wobbly.
Common causes for this include:
• Getting old
• Weight loss
• Previous surgery
• A tummy tuck is major surgery and you should check out all the facts before you embark on it.
• It is not a substitute for weight loss
• It won’t remove stretch marks
As long as you are in good health, it is suitable for both men and women. Ideally, it is an option if you have lost a lot of weight and have excess fat or loose skin, or if you have been pregnant and you want to reduce the skin and tighten your tum.
Before surgery you will get better results if you:
• Stop smoking. Smoking increases the risk of complications, whatever your surgery.
• Eat a well-balanced diet. Nutrients strengthen your immune system for faster recovery.
• Exercise. This will help build muscle mass and prevent weight gain after surgery when you will have to take it easy.
• Have someone pick you up – you won’t be able to drive
• Stock up with ice packs and petroleum jelly to ease discomfort
• Wear loose, comfortable clothing you can get on and off easily
Tummy tuck recovery times vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much surgery you had. Generally, most people require 1-2 weeks before they can return to work, although some may take up to 4 weeks. If you are in good shape at the time of your surgery you are much more likely to have a shorter recovery time.
Immediately after your tummy tuck surgery you are likely to experience discomfort, swelling and pain, which will be eased with medication. You will probably need a few days bed rest. Stitches will be removed between 5 and 7 days and you will be given instructions about showering/bathing and walking. Gentle exercise speeds up the healing process so you will most likely be encouraged to walk around as soon as possible after surgery.
In the weeks following surgery you will be a compression garment to wear under your clothes, as well as elasticized stockings to help prevent blood clots. A gentle exercise regime, such as walking, will be encouraged by your doctor, but you will have to avoid anything strenuous for 6 weeks in case you re-open your wounds.
• Tummy tuck costs are considerably less abroad – at least 50%, and in some cases much higher.
• Quality-checked clinics/surgeons will ensure your tummy tuck procedure has the greatest chance of success.
• Combined with a holiday you will really be able to relax and give your body time to recuperate.
• Check out clinic photos, real patient tummy tuck reviews and other useful information with Medical Departures – helping you to make a well-informed choice.
In Thailand tummy tucks cost, on average, around $3,000 compared to $10,000 in the United States, and in Mexico tummy tucks cost aound $3,500 on average.
This article is meant for information purposes only and is not intended to be medical advice or instructions for medical diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified medical professional before starting or changing medical treatment.